Saturday, December 12, 2009

The fuss over the Beard or the Clean look

Taking it from a friends statement on his life and replacing it with a word more apt for me-

“I am CHAOS personified”

Walking out of the gates of NIT Surat for the last time and entering a world I tried and escaped from, all my life.

A similar feeling- When it was time for Pre-boards exams in 12th, because all I feared was that hanging out with friends would reduce, will miss the lunch time gossips, will die without having a glimse of the girl I had a crush on, pressure of expectations, sudden fact of not being good at studies hitting you hard when you see the results and above all- to justify my decision of taking up Science despite of tremendous pressure from family and Extended Family.

A similar feeling- When it was time for the tests for National Institute of Design (NID), my only attempt to try and pursue something of my interest before I am pushed into either my dad’s business or to take up a run-of-the-mill degree course such as Engineering (I thank ONE of the FEW right decisions taken by me to quit Biology, else I would have ended up having more options where OPTIONS is directly proportional to CONFUSION).

A similar feeling- When I came back after appearing for my All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) and called up all my friends to check if they had fared as bad (and they had not), staying back home locked up in my room when all friends were enjoying a free day after a long time, random surfing of institutes providing Design or Mass Communication courses, my last resort to run away from home.

A similar feeling- When the 10 days workshop at MICA (Mudra Institute of Communication) was almost over and I was giving a presentation on my Action plan for next 5 years (at 2 AM), though I knew I never had the guts of achieving any of the listed goals. This was the place I first felt like a true cartoonist, a chance of meeting people who were already making jingles, few who were already working for journals, and getting an appreciation from such guys actually helped me come up with the idea of DODO (a cartoon character) and his story. But the fame of being the only cartoonist among the 30 odd people was momentary.

A similar feeling- When after the first year in Engineering itself, I thought that the course would in no way help me to achieve what I wanted (though I am still not sure what, but I am sure it’s not related to Engineering, whatever it might turn out to be), still hoping the next three years would pass better than the first or the way Steve Jobs would put it-“Trusting that the dots would connect someday”.

A similar feeling- When after my 2nd year all my friends were trying to get an internship/training into some technical organization and I called up some friends of mine and got an internship at “Mudra Advertising”, running around in crowded streets of Old Ahmedabad persuading Electrical shop owners to allow me to take pictures of some particular kind of tube-lights, catching strangers in parks/gym and interviewing them about their health habits, meeting owners of the restaurants where a particular kind of newly launched mineral water brand was served, to allow me to talk to their customers. After sometime I was loving it but then it was over and I was back to Engineering.

A similar feeling- When after the 3rd year I realized that the part of being an organizer of a college event was over and I am no more expected to put up any banners and break my leg doing that, not to decide on the designs and the look of the event, not sitting cross-legged in front of a manager of a expected sponsor and persuading him to agree to our demands and heeding to none of his, not having any juniors cribbing about the work I gave them but at the end appreciating the final outcome.

A similar feeling- When suddenly you receive a mail from a school friend of yours about her getting engaged the next weekend and then it strikes you that you are as old as her and its about time to take Life as seriously and accept your parents still taking your decisions about life. The fear of seizure of the aimless wanderings and meetings I so loved.

And now it’s a similar feeling where I am almost a year experienced working in an IT company, have managed to fool myself and others in believing that I am doing good work and I am getting good work. There is again a fear of losing the trust you developed among your colleagues, a responsibility which forced you to get up at 8 in the morning, a desk which you decorated with some of your designs, some certificates and a toy basketball game, the 2 tea times with colleagues where you gossip about topics ranging from your manager to the hot chicks in Infosys.

I might not have learnt much in these “similar feelings” (because I still make the same mistakes of developing an attachment with all I meet and feeling sad after loosing them) but these sure are a few moments in my life which I find worth capturing because I just hope there’ll be less chaos at some point where the dots would actually connect and bring out the wannabe ROCKSTAR in me and I might forget all these and lose an opportunity of having a good laugh at myself. Till that time comes I still wish to keep wondering about less important things in Life-does CLEAN SHAVE or a BEARD looks better on me. ;)

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Beard it is yaar...
by da way u are not alone in this world who's feeling dat feeling dat u r feeling right now...may be with different sets of circumstances

Maulik said...

ahem... u knw wat mayank....i luk around and see most of us settin goals in their lives and ahievin some magic wid der lives....i see wat spirits dey live wid..nd i always wondered..whu are we thankful to....nd i can come up wid one answer...RACHANA...donno how much u agree wid me on this...bt surely it did carve pots out of muds!!

Unknown said...

excellent post. After reading the line "When suddenly you receive a mail from a school friend of yours about her getting engaged the next weekend and then it strikes you that you are as old as her and its about time to take Life as seriously" totally jolted me out of my slumber. Keep it up brother!

dOdO said...

@Raul- Thanks. I also prefer maverick look of mine.

@Maulik- I do agree dat Rachana School(before ppl start wondering that we had the same girl in our lives) had a major role in what we are today, but for me it was KV and College where I came across the real world and the range of characters. I can now find a resemblance in everyone I meet with the ppl I met in College.

@Hari- Ya when that happened I went back to my mailbox to see if I had really got the mail or it was just a stupid dream I had.

Thanks all... keep sending your comments

Saurabh said...

And you always cursed yourself for not being able to write...:)
nice work, keep it up..and tere life mein itne incidents(read 'loche') hain, ki i am sure there's more to come..

Gaurav Rathi said...

Awesomeeeeeeeeeee...Best line.."I am almost a year experienced working in an IT company, have managed to fool myself and others in believing that I am doing good work and I am getting good work.":P
abe tere life main itne accidents(incidents hote hai)tu roj kuch na kuch likh sakta hai..

Anonymous said...

Cottbus after the start of the game today for another goal to start the attack, the first half completely take the initiative, which demonstrates a strong attack. find free software

Anonymous said...

With current privacy laws you now need to protect your client’s information as well as your own. There can be a four pound difference between the weight of a standard and an extra large laptop – and that’s quite a bit, when you think about lugging it around all day., vpn services free. Painting involves work that requires safety and can result in an accident, so always ask the contractor to provide full safety measures. vpn linksys wrt54g

Anonymous said...

Choose good quality cookie cutters. errore sistema 53 vpn

Anonymous said...

Be smart and take a smart approach., network security concerns. Suggesting you adjusting the sleep schedule as soon as possible, do not stay up late, have reasonable diet, or you will soon face the risk of nervous breakdown! Besides this, training centers and deployment areas are all common because of the crowded conditions. sonicwall vpn client service. Sanding and buffing are common maintenance tasks associated with hardwood that are no longer an issue with laminate. vpn client cisco alternative

Anonymous said...

They can be of great help for you during hours of need. The ball is made of leather or rubber. iso server 2003. One of the interesting facts about this drug is that it is one of the most important crops grown by the farmers in the last century. Paper records cannot be effectively searched or used to track, analyze, or record information, and cannot be efficiently copied or recorded offsite., network appliance incorporated. In few cases, the amount of pest damage and termite damage is unfeasible to measure without taking out certain sections of a house or building. canon remote control d

Anonymous said...

As has always been the case in the fashion industry, there is more bamboo clothing for women available than for anyone else. Shields' grandkids are heading into a future in this country where freedom is more or less a distant memory. womens action network. Candidates are also placed in assessment centres to practice their team work abilities. The disadvantages include the tendency to grip the club harder and a lack of stability., access matrices. There are many careers out there that involve manual work, these are always needed in today’s climate. 0 55 win32 x86 no ssl msi

Anonymous said...

It’s not practical and it’s not a great environment to prepare to perform in. juegos bateria virtual. At no time will you be pressured into making a decision for treatment. router subinterface vlan

Anonymous said...

You can play for free or enter one of the tournaments. While discussing regarding the facilities of a laptop, it is foremost essential to know the process to buy it., virtual dolls house game. Asbestos surveys should be a priority for new homeowners, to asses any potential risks before any home improvements are carried out. dillon model sgcn load cell instrumentation

Anonymous said...

Ipanema apartment is located in the close vicinity of the beach but also to different means of transportation (taxi, bus and subway). The reason behind the popularity of the stone flooring surrey is the shear benefits that it offers. manya education private. International cooperation has had developments and benefits to people worldwide. It is important for you to know any important changes, issues and trends as quickly as possible so that you can take advantage of them and change your color brochure’s content and design for better marketing., software free dowan load. This is the time when we feel sleepy and that becomes unexpressable if we get a soft mattress to sleep over. fnp server

Anonymous said...

Thermoplastic tanks are carbon tanks made up of polymer linings and are very composite in structure. These three things control the maintenance requirements and affect the life of the machine., melcher switching. This unique is designed to provide management and marketing strategies for food service establishments. www private rentals

Anonymous said...

Line grafts this involves moving a short strip of donor hair from the side or back of the head, then transplanting the entire strip into a trench that is surgically cut into the receiving area of the scalp. You can check out a interface, subject peculiarity as good as usability of a use exams prior to we confirm to buy it. adsl hastighedstest. Online dating might be a good outlet for you, to as it generally offers a place to list all your great physical qualities as well as outside interests and more, presenting a more rounded dating candidate. Read this article to get some ideas on why shops use them., international leishmania network. However, this initial outlay is a onetime cost, and once installed, maintenance costs are minimal. iis with sql server

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/order-amoxicillin/]amoxicillina mg kg
[/url]amoxicillin 500 mg what does it treat
amoxicillin 500 mg breastfeeding
can you buy amoxicillin over counter

Anonymous said...

My гelаtivеs all thе timе saу that I am
killing my time here at web, but Ι know I am gеtting exρегience every day by гeаdіng ѕuch рleasant artiсles or гevіews.


Heгe is my homеpage ... granite tiles

Anonymous said...

Eveгythіng iѕ very oρеn with a very clear ехρlanаtion оf the chаllenges.
It was definitelу informatіνe.
Υоur site is verу usеful. Mаny thanks foг shагing!


Hаνe a lοok at mу pagе :: car shipping

Anonymous said...

Do you have any video of that? I'd like to find out some additional information.

My blog; where to buy coffee pure cleanse